The Global Investors for Sustainable Development (GISD) Alliance is a group of leaders of major financial institutions and corporations from across the world. It is convened by the United Nations Secretary-General to deliver solutions that scale up private finance and investment to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) (see GISD Joint Statement).
The UN and the GISD Alliance recognize that achieving the SDGs requires moving trillions of dollars of capital toward sustainable development. The GISD Alliance is uniquely placed to unlock long-term investment in sustainable development for the countries and sectors most in need:
- It is cross-cutting: GISD Alliance members represent actors from across the finance and investment value chain
- It is all-inclusive: the work of the GISD Alliance covers all 17 SDGs
- It is outcomes-focused: the GISD Alliance develops practical solutions, tools, and products
Since its inception in October 2019, the GISD Alliance has worked to:
- Mobilize finance and investment by collaborating with public institutions
- Align finance and investment with the SDGs and increase impact by enhancing measurement and reporting
- Promote long-termism by transforming incentives for the SDGs
- Channel investment to the SDGs by creating innovative instruments and platforms
GISD’s work is supported by a Strategy Group appointed by the CEOs and by United Nations system partners coordinated by UN DESA. GISD benefits from the generous support of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA).